SkinPen or micro-needling (collagen induction therapy) is an innovative cosmetic procedure that reduces the appearance of scars, fine lines, wrinkles,and large pores .
The treatment area will undergo increased blood circulation, which enhances collagen production.
While treatment is minimally invasive, the micro-needling device is actually made of tiny needles that puncture the skin afterward to create micro-channels.
What to expect: How long does it take for SkinPen treatments to heal?
While the micro-needling procedure has minimal side effects, visible recovery occurs 48 hours after the procedure. Pay extra attention to the healing process up to 7 days post-treatment.
Healing will continue under the surface of your skin after two months.
Expect your face to feel warm with mild peeling and swelling 24 hours after the microneedling treatment. The sensation is similar to moderate sunburn.
You may wash your face with an approved gentle cleanser and cool water the morning after the SkinPen procedure.
Your skin may still feel dry and sensitive to touch. Some patients experience slightly longer periods of redness.
These side effects are typical up to 48 hours after treatment:
- skin may feel drier
- bumpy skin texture
Only products approved by your skin professional may be used, however, do not apply these products to the treated area:
- exfoliating products
- alpha hydroxy acids
- glycolic acid
- Retinols, Retin-A, or tretinoin products
Expect peeling of the treated skin 3 -5 days after the procedure, therefore a growth factor serum is highly recommended at this time.
Under direction of your skin care professional, you may continue your regular skin care routine as long as there are no signs of irritation.
SkinPen post-treatment tips for optimal results
Your doctor / skin care professional will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions based on your skin type and medical history.
What should you do after micro-needling treatments?
- Avoid direct sunlight and prolonged sun exposure.
- Protect your skin from sun damage by applying a generous amount of Physical Sunblock (Elta MD preferred) each time you go outdoors.
- Do not forcibly peel off your skin. Instead, keep it moisturized while allowing it to shed naturally.
- Avoid benzoyl peroxide and serum with vitamin E, C, and Retinol A two days after treatment.
- Avoid activities that induce excessive sweating 72 hours after SkinPen.
- Avoid saunas, exercise, swimming pools, steam rooms, and jacuzzis for 5 days after treatment.
Conclusion – SkinPen Care
Three to five micro-needling sessions every four to six weeks can reduce the signs of premature aging with increased collagen and elastin production.
Just as important as pre-treatment, micro-needling clients need to pay extra attention to their skin as it heals post-procedure.
Get in touch with me, Lisa Rux for a free consultation on SkinPen procedures.